Georgia is quickly taking over the TV and film industry. Here are the 27 movies and TV shows filming in Georgia this October 2020.
The Coronavirus has shaken up Georgia’s film industry. That said, Georgia’s film industry is on track for a comeback. According to a statement by Gov. Brian Kemp, an estimated 40,000 production workers will find jobs at 75 projects, which are expected to start filming over the next 18 months.
Post-COVID-19 Georgia expects thousands of new jobs
The estimate will also impact other second-line businesses including 17,000 Georgia businesses. These production companies have added a huge impact on Georgia’s economy. In fact, in 2019, nearly 400 movies and TV shows filmed in Georgia impacting 3,040 motion picture and television industry businesses.
“Production companies want to be in Georgia and create tens of thousands of jobs for workers across the state, and today’s announcement is welcome news as we continue safely reopening our state,” Governor Kemp said. “I thank the Georgia Film Office for their work during the pandemic, and I thank the production companies who always vowed to return to Georgia when the time was right for them to safely get back to work.”
Producers are still hiring and casting directors are continuously looking for the right talent to work on TV shows and movies filming across the state.
Filming is back in Atlanta!
Currently, the Georgia Film Commission says 14 productions are now in preproduction or have started filming. However, Deadline reports there are several others who are early preproduction and plan on filming as early as next week.
According to reports, Pinewood Studios Atlanta, which has 18 stages for filming, said “teams are back.”
Blackhall Studios, which has 9 sound stages, has “bodies on the ground”. In fact, the studio has prepared production since Monday for two film productions by 20th Century Studios and Universal. CEO Ryan Millsap says more top-level production members are expected to travel to Georgia as early as two weeks and filming will “ramp-up”. The 20th Century film was reportedly filming until March and was shut down due to the Coronavirus. Meanwhile, Universal production is a new movie. Before filming actually starts, new projects can take up to two to three months before filming.
Productions currently filming include ‘Black Adam’ starring Dwayne Johnson, Season 13 of Bravo’s ‘The Real Housewives of Atlanta’, Lifetime’s ‘Little Women: Atlanta’ and Tyler Perry’s ‘Sistas’ and ‘The Oval’. It is important to note that while ‘Black Adam’ is now in preproduction in Georgia, filming is not expected to start until next year.
In addition, independent films including ‘Home Safe’, ‘Terror Lake Drive’, ‘Don’t Waste Your Pretty’. and ‘Double Kidnapped’.
Reality shows including Lifetime’s ‘Little Women: Atlanta’, Bravo’s ‘Married to Medicine’, ‘Dish Nation’, and ‘1000 LB Sisters’.
“We are very grateful for the commitment recently made by industry leaders to get back to producing more films in Georgia, and it’s gratifying to see our productions begin to get safely off the ground. We will continue to work with the studios to answer their questions and help them make plans,” said Georgia Film Office director Lee Thomas.
Stranger Things filming in Georgia
Stranger Things is one of the biggest TV shows still filming in Atlanta, Georgia. Meanwhile, Georgia’s film industry is facing a boycott following the election of Brian Kemp as governor. Kemp, who served as the Secretary of State and oversaw the election, has been accused of voter suppression leading up to the election. Some of Hollywood’s biggest influencers, actors, models, and talent are calling for a boycott of Georgia’s booming film industry. For example, Frank Rich, the executive producer of HBO’s VEEP, said, “If Kemp wins in Georgia, Hollywood should put its money where its mouth is and pull all production out of the state,” Rich tweeted.
Casting calls for ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 have just been released. Casting directors are looking for talent of all ages ranging from babies to adults 18 to 100. Producers are also looking for cars to work on scenes in the hit Netflix thriller.
Georgia Industry News:
Understanding Georgia Film Tax Credit:
A state tax credit was signed into law in 2008 giving productions up to a 30 percent tax break by filming in Georgia. This incentive was enough to convince Hollywood producers to film in Georgia.
Big productions such as The Hunger Games, The Walking Dead and Divergent helped boost Georgia’s film industry. In fact, small cities are now being used as filming locations. Producers are searching and finding small towns across Georgia to film their TV shows. The small town of Senoia, Georgia has transformed since The Walking Dead set up a location in the small town.
Check out the full list of TV shows and movies filming in Georgia below.
Here is the full list of TV Shows filming in Georgia.
Movies and TV shows filming in Georgia
1000 LB Sisters – TV Reality – TLC
- Tipping the scales at over 1,000 pounds combined, the Slaton sisters try to lose enough weight to qualify for and undergo life-changing bariatric surgery and pursue their dreams.
Architect – TV Series – Disney +
- New Loki TV series
- CW and Greg Berlanti expand the footprint of their DC Comics universe with this exploration of the intersection between family life and being a superhero. As a younger man, Jefferson Pierce donned the suit of a vigilante and protected the streets of his city, but he believed he’d left those days in the past. He learns that life doesn’t always work out as planned when his daughter, Jennifer — a star student who is determined to achieve justice at any cost — gets recruited by a street gang. In order to protect his family, Jefferson sees no choice but to once again become Black Lightning.
Cop Shop – Feature Film – indie
- A small town police station becomes the unlikely battleground between a professional hitman, a smart female rookie cop and a double crossing conman who seeks refuge behind bars with no place left to run. Stars Gerard Butler, Frank Grillo, and Ryan O’Nan.
Creepshow S2 – TV Series – Shudder
- An anthology horror series based on the 1982 movie features vignettes that explore terror, murder, the supernatural and the unexplainable.
- Dear Evan Hansen is an upcoming American musical teen drama film directed by Stephen Chbosky, and adapted to the screen by Steven Levenson from his and Benj Pasek and Justin Paul’s 2015 stage musical of the same name.
Dish Nation S9 – TV Reality – FOX
- Personalities from the country’s most popular radio shows in major markets present their takes on pop culture, celebrity scandals and the news of the day. “Dish Nation” focuses on the comedic side of the breaking entertainment news format. Memorable moments from the radio show come alive with animation, images and video footage from the radio studios. The featured radio personalities include Rickey Smiley and Heidi Hamilton.
- The venerable courtroom show takes a look at real-life divorcing couples. The soon-to-be exes tell their stories to the judge, who gives the ruling and settles all the usual — and unusual — divorce issues by the end of the episode. This is the third incarnation of the show titled “Divorce Court,” with the first having premiered in 1957.
First 48 – TV Reality – A&E
- Detectives in major cities around the country race against the clock in the wake of homicides, knowing that if they don’t find a lead within the first 48 hours, their chances of solving a case are cut in half. The series shows how detectives use forensic evidence and witness interviews to help identify suspects.
- According to Deadline, the third season of the Nat Geo series will center around Aretha Franklin’s musical career and her impact on the culture. The Grammy Award-winning singer was a gospel singer and outspoken civil rights leader who is considered to be one of the biggest singers in the last 50 years.
- Kelli Berglund is set to star alongside Stephen Armel, Alexander Ludwig and Alison Luff in the new Star drama series. The new series centers around the independent professional wrestling business.
According to Deadline, HEELS is written by Michael Waldron and directed by Peter Segal. Mike O’Malley will work as a showrunner. the series centers around the men and women who chase their dreams the world of a small-town pro wrestling. The show is set in a small-town Georgia community and it follows a family-owned wrestling promotion as two brothers and rivals. Jack Spade and Ace Spade, played by Amell and Ludwig respectively, fight over their father’s legacy. In the ring, somebody must be the good guy and somebody must be the bad guy but, in the real world, those characters are hard to live up to and leave behind.
Kelli Berglund will play Crystal a 20-year-old wrestler valet who looks to transform this traditional role and compete as a wrestler. A rural-town girl without a lot of money who is looking for an opportunity to shine and she will do whatever it takes to make it happen.
High Expectations – Feature Film – indie
- Former Fifth Harmony member Ally Brooke will star in CDW Films’ “High Expectations,” an upcoming drama about a soccer player’s journey toward success after rejection by his father.
- The town of Mystic Falls has a new generation of protectors in this spin-off of “The Vampire Diaries” and “The Originals.” The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted is home to Klaus Mikaelson’s daughter Hope, Alaric Saltzman’s twins Lizzie and Josie, and other young adults who are coming of age as witches, vampires and werewolves, nurtured to be their best selves and overcome their villainous impulses. Together, they rely on ancient folklore and tales to learn how to battle their far-reaching enemies and attempt to keep balance in the world.
Life by the Ton – TV Reality – Discovery
Little Women: Atlanta S6 – TV Reality – Lifetime
- The ladies featured on “Little Women: Atlanta” include twins Amanda and Andrea; “Mama Bear” Ashley, who harbours a secret that could be her downfall among the other members of the group; shy Bri, who can wreak havoc when she is challenged; Tiffany, who is searching for a life plan and a steady paycheck after quitting her job; and group leader Emily, who is in a rocky relationship with her boyfriend.
Mama June S5 TV Reality Wetv
- Mama June: From Not to Hot is an American reality television series that airs on We TV. The show premiered on February 24, 2017, and is a spin-off of the TLC reality series Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. The show documents June “Mama June” Shannon’s weight loss transformation from 460 to 160 pounds (209 to 73 kg).
Married to Medicine – TV Reality – Bravo
- Bravo has one successful reality show about socialite women in Atlanta, so what’s next on its docket? A second reality show about socialite women in Atlanta, of course. The difference with this show is that all of the women featured are either doctors themselves or the wives of doctors. Cameras follow the ladies as they try to juggle their careers with family lives and their social calendars. The cast of Georgia peaches includes busy mom Toya, feisty Quad, and a couple of OB-GYNs, Jacqueline and Simone.
Real Housewives of Atlanta S13 – TV Reality – Bravo
- The Atlanta housewives continue to live their fabulous lives in Georgia’s capital city in this incarnation of the popular reality TV franchise. Relationships, a staple of the `Real Housewives’ shows, take centre stage as usual as the ladies’ love lives experience ups and downs. The sassy women’s entrepreneurial spirits are also in full bloom as they juggle their personal and professional lives, along with their busy personal calendars.
- In the world of international crime, an Interpol agent attempts to hunt down and capture the world’s most wanted art thief.
- ‘Samaritan’ will be directed by Julius Avery (Overlord), which is Stallone’s next movie following ‘Rambo: Last Blood’. ‘Samaritan’ center around a young boy who is out to discover is a mythical superhero actually exists after disappearing 20 years ago following a tragic event. Written by ‘Escape Room’ screenwriter Bragi F. Schut, the movie will be produced by Stallone’s Balboa Productions and Schut will executive produce the project.
- According to IMDB, the movie centers around a young boy who learns that a superhero who was thought to have gone missing after an epic battle twenty years ago may in fact still be around.
The Cube – TV Reality – TBS
High-intensity British game shows The Cube is coming to America. WarnerMedia has handed the show, which comes from All3Media-owned producer Objective Media Group, a 10-part series order. NBA legend and former Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade will host and executive produce.
- The Resident is an American medical drama series, which airs on the FOX. Created by Hayley Schore & Roshan Sethi, the show features Matt Czuchry, Emily VanCamp, Manish Dayal, Shaunette Renée Wilson, Bruce Greenwood, Moran Atias, Merrin Dungey, Melina Kanakaredes and Malcolm-Jamal Warner. The Resident is executive produced by Amy Holden Jones, Antoine Fuqua, Phillip Noyce, and other leading producers in the film industry. Season 1 premiered at the beginning of 2018 and season 3 of the show is currently in production.
- Courtney Hansen and Troy Ladd reunite people with special vehicles they remember from earlier in their lives.
- Based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman, this gritty drama portrays life in the months and years that follow a zombie apocalypse. A group of survivors travel in search of safety and security, constantly on the move in search of a secure home. But the pressure each day to stay alive sends many in the group to the deepest depths of human cruelty, and they soon discover that the overwhelming fear of the survivors can be more deadly than the zombies walking among them. At times, the interpersonal conflicts present a greater threat to their continuing survival than the walkers that roam the country.
- John Boyega’s next movie will film in Georgia starting this September 2020. The upcoming sci-fi feature film will star Jamie Foxx, Teyonah Parris, and John Boyega. The movie will be directed by Creed 2 writer Juel Taylor.
- Taylor, who wrote the screenplay with Tony Rettenmaier, centers around a series of events that throws an unlikely trio onto the trail of an evil government conspiracy.
Vacation Friends Feature Film FOX
- Vacation Friends is an upcoming American comedy film directed by Clay Tarver from a screenplay by Tom Mullen and Tim Mullen. It stars John Cena, Meredith Hagner, Lil Rel Howery, Yvonne Orji, Lynn Whitfield, Robert Wisdom and Kamal Bolden.
World Chase Tag TV Reality multiple outlets
- World Chase Tag is an international championship for competitive parkour involving the game of tag.
Georgia Film Signs:
- UPCOMING HOME DEPOT/ESPN COMMERCIAL (TNA)
- HBO’S WATCHMEN/(BROOKLYN/CHAR)
- OZARK/ (KRAZO)
- BIGGER/(GAME U)
- STARGIRL/ (JSA)
- THE OUTSIDER (CANT/MUST)
- GREENLEAF (GL)
- ALONG CAME THE DEVIL :2 (ACTD2)
- NETFLIX’S INSATIABLE (2BOB)
Every Movie and TV show that has wrapped production in Georgia
Left Behind: The Kids Movie (wrapped)
“Left Behind” started as a series of novels written by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins until the series became a movie franchise, creating four movies, graphic novels and a video game. The upcoming production, “Left Behind: The Kids” is based on 40 short books aimed at young adults.
Centers on Becca who, as she nears 40, is about to embark on her second wedding to Andy Kelly, but her joy is tempered by the absence of her old best friend Lolly who’s a no-show, having dropped out of their relationship years ago.
Marvel’s Ant-Man (Wrapped)
Armed with a super-suit with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang must embrace his inner hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.
Fox 2000 Pictures and Regency Enterprises announced a fourth installment, titled Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, scheduled to be released on December 11, 2015.
A mythical account of the life of Buddy Bolden, the first Cornet King of New Orleans.
A man struggling with his faith is haunted by the sins of his past but is suddenly thrust into the role of defending humanity from the gathering forces of darkness.
Red Band Society (Wrapped)
A look at the lives of a group of teenagers living in a hospital.
The Nice Guys (Wrapped)
A private eye investigates the apparent suicide of a fading porn star in 1970s Los Angeles and uncovers a conspiracy.
Young father Rusty Griswold gears up to take his family on a vacation.
Set in a world where humans and super heroes co-exist, a homicide detective is tasked with investigating crimes involving superhuman powers.
16-year-old Cassie Sullivan tries to survive in a world devastated by the waves of an alien invasion that has already decimated the population and knocked mankind back to the Stone Age.
The lives of the people of Arcadia, Missouri, are forever changed when their deceased loved ones return.
“Finding Carter” centers on a teenage girl who was abducted at age three and finds herself reunited with her long-lost blood relatives.‘Skins’ actor Kathryn Prescott stars as Carter. Alexis Denisof, Milena Govich, Cynthia Watros, Anna Jacoby-Heron and Zac Pullam co-star in the new MTV series “Finding Carter”.
‘Rectify’ centers on the story of a man released from prison after spending twenty years on death row. The series is created and written by Ray McKinnon from ‘Sons of Anarchy’ and is executive produced by the Emmy Award® winning producers behind Breaking Bad and the upcoming Halt and Catch Fire.
Revolves around a sheriff struggling to keep his family together while simultaneously policing two clashing communities: the small town where he grew up and the neighboring Ramapo Mountains, home of the Ramapo Mountain Indians. After a terrible tragedy and coverup occurs involving the sheriff’s wife, an unholy alliance is forged between the sheriff and a dangerous member of the tribe that will come back to haunt all involved.
A spin-off of “Girlfriends” featuring a group of women who all have relationships with professional football players.
Swank, a cutting- edge fashion boutique, owned by Emily Dees Boulden, first began in 2006 in Birmingham, Alabama’s prestigious area of Mountain Brook. National attention allowed Emily to open an additional location for Swank in Atlanta, Georgia at “The Shops Around Lenox” in the heart of Buckhead.