Are you looking for a job? Shondaland is now hiring writers.
Shondaland is an American production company founded by TV mogul/writer/producer Shonda Rhimes. Rhimes founded it when she launched her first TV series Grey’s Anatomy in 2005. Since then, the show has gone on to produce several other shows including Private Practice, Scandal, Off The Map, How to Get Away with Murder, and The Catch. As of 2017, the production company has partnered with Netflix, and before that deal Disney-ABC.
Shondaland is now hiring Staff Writer I positions at the production company. According to the job posting, the position reports directly to the Senior Editor.
“The voice of Shondaland champions courage, empowerment, reflecting our culture, and bringing people together,” the job posting reads.
“The Staff Writer will work with Shondaland staff editors to concept of and craft stories on national events, Entertainment and Lifestyle topics. On a weekly basis the writer will pen stories that cover topics as assigned.
This position is in Los Angeles, CA, and reports directly to the Senior Editor.”
Job Responsibilities include the following:
- Write stories on a weekly basis for the site. (The number of stories may change from week to week, depending on how in-depth each story is).
- Ability to report out and cover topics ranging from Wellness to Business to Lifestyle (Food, Trends, etc.)
- Undertstand and write in the voice of Shondaland.com; writing stories with readers in mind.
- Research a wide range of topics and broad subject and have the ability to report out longer features.
- Maintain and develop a network of sources to call upon for quotes and information.
- Work with the Shondaland editors as part of the editorial team.
- Participate in editorial meetings.
- Concept of new and exciting story angles on a daily basis.
- Pitch stories to editors in daily editorial meetings.
- Write stories as assigned and meet all deadlines.
Essential Skills include the following:
- Experience writing for Lifestyle publications or writing about a variety of lifestyle topics such as: Food, Wellness, Health, and various trends.
- Experience writing about national events, current events, or political and social issues.
- Adept at reporting out stories (crafting reported pieces), working with sources, researching in-depth topics, as well as being able to write stories from their own point of view (personal narrative) when needed.
- Experience working with editors and an editorial team to take stories from concept, idea to the reporting stage, to editing stage, and through to final publication.
- Advanced-level critical thinking, organizing and planning skills to meet daily deadlines.
- Sharpened ability to develop ideas concisely and clearly.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
- Must have knowledge of AP Style.
Job qualifications include the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Writing, Journalism, or related field preferred. (M.A. or MFA is a bonus).
- At least 5 -7 years of writing and journalism experience, penning stories for national outlets.
- Various writing samples from other national publications.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and CMS (content management systems).
In related news, Will Smith‘s production company, Westbrook inc, is now hiring in Los Angeles, California. Amid the Coronavirus pandemic, millions of Americans are out of a job, furloughed, or switching careers. Now, Jada and Will Smith’s production company, Westbrook, inc. is now hiring people to join their team. In 2019, Deadline reported Will and Jada Pinkett Smith launched their venture production company Westbrook inc. “It is a cross-platform holding company formed to execute the Smith Family’s global content and commerce business strategy.”
More Entertainment Industry Job News: