NY, United States
Entertainment jobs & Crew
Staff / Crew
Democracy Prep Public Schools
Democracy Prep Musical Directors work with school-based Theater Directors to audition students, teach and rehearse all the musical components of the show, rehearse the live band, and provide other music-related support as needed during the show's production process, typically ranging from January - June.
Who You Are
- You hold a deep commitment to empowering arts education, and specifically, the roles that live school performances play in the lives of young people.
- You are able to work effectively with show directors and other production staff to ensure seamless planning, rehearsal, and execution of all musical components.
- You bring maturity, humility, a strong work ethic and a sense of humor to your work.
- You have excellent communication (written and oral) and a track record of working collaboratively with others in artistic settings.
- You have the ability to proceed in the absence of clear and immediate answers to problems, can work autonomously as well as take direction as needed.
What You'll Do
- In-person and possibly remotely via Zoom, work closely with the members of the production team to ensure that musical components are planned and executed efficiently.
- Conduct the musical portion of the auditions and work with the Director to cast effectively.
- Arrange score reductions based on available instrumentalists.
- Conduct musical rehearsals with students and band rehearsals with hired musicians.
- Proficient as a pianist and vocalist.
- Prior experience as an accompanist in Musical Theater settings.
- Prior experience as a Musical Director for middle and high school musicals.
- Proficient sight-reading on piano in the Musical Theater genre.
- Ability to coach young voices, cast appropriately based on voice range, and arrange selections as needed to accommodate cast and Director.
- Effective classroom & rehearsal management skills.
- $3000 stipend, paid at end of the term agreement.
- Total project hours will range from 85-100, with a maximum weekly allotment of 29 hours.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.