Five Tips for Actors Should be Using to Get a Head Start in the Industry - How to stand out and get a called back.
Many people wish to become a professional actor. The ability to perform on a stage in front of hundreds to millions of people is extremely enticing. However, everyone has to start somewhere.
But, what are some basic tips an amateur actor can use to get a head start in the entertainment industry? Here are six things actors can do to improve their chances of becoming a leading actor.
- Audition as much as you can. For professional actors, auditioning is a full-time job.
- Eat right, work out. The hard truth is that pretty people are cast more often.
- Read lots of plays. Go watch other professionals work, and try to think critically about what played well and what didn't.
- Actors rarely work alone. Find a group you enjoy working with, and produce your own work. Hone your craft together.
- Go make some mistakes. There is a very real barrier that separates good actors from great ones, and that is real life experience.
But, remember there is no set path to success. Actors succeed because they are unique and different. But in learning what makes you different, you must learn how we are all the same and what audiences will identify with.
The best way to get started in the industry may just depend on working on short films, studying screenwriting, and relaxing. Life as an actor is unlike any other career, find comfort in what you are doing because, very few people have the courage to even try.
What do you think? Discuss this story with fellow
Project Casting fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @projectcasting.