NBCUniversal is searching for aspiring filmmakers, actors, and now the media company is looking for aspiring writers.
As part of the company’s 2020 Writers on the Verge program, NBCUniversal is now accepting applications for aspiring writers. Writers that are selected will be invited to join a 12-week program focused on polishing writers and preparing them for a position in a TV series.
“We are looking for writers who are “almost there” but need that final bit of preparation with their writing and personal presentation skills. We particularly encourage writers of diverse backgrounds to apply.”
Writers will have the chance to attend two-night classes at NBCUniversal in Universal City, California. Once accepted, students must attend all classes and turn in all written assignments.
Classes concentrate on creating exceptional material to enhance their portfolio, and understanding the dynamics of pitching oneself in the television industry. Writers are given the chance to interact with industry players ranging from network executives to show runners to agents and receive valuable feedback on their work and pitch style.
Past participants in the program have worked on hit shows including The Blacklist, Marlon, Community, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Chicago Fire, and Parenthood.
How to Submit
The submission window is open MAY 2020.
*The submission link will open on MAY 2020.
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS – please read thoroughly:
- We do not accept email or mail submissions. You must complete the online application before the deadline. Please complete all sections of the application. Only ONE APPLICATION per writer or writing team will be accepted.
- We will accept submissions from individual writers and from writing teams of two. We will not accept writing teams of more than two.
- Your two original scripts must be live-action TV pilots. They must be both half-hour comedies or both be hour-long dramas. No features or any other samples will be reviewed.
- Include a title page with no name(s) of the writer or writing team. Do NOT include the writer’s or writing team’s name or contact information on any page of the script.
- Please title your file names appropriately for upload, and only upload files as .PDF
- Resume: RESUME – FIRST NAME LAST NAME.pdf
- Example: RESUME – JIMMY FALLON.pdf
- Legal release form: LEGAL RELEASE – FIRST NAME LAST NAME.pdf
- Example: LEGAL RELEASE – JIMMY FALLON.pdf
- Script submission: SHOW NAME – FIRST INITIAL LAST INITIAL.pdf (If you have a writing partner, include their initials in the file name.)
- Example: GAME OF THRONES – JF.pdf
- Example with writing partner: THIS IS US – JF and SM.pdf
6. We will not be asking for any further materials throughout the application process.
7. Applicants must be able to provide their own housing and transportation in the Los Angeles area for the duration of the program.
8. Applicants must have the right to work in the United States
For more information click here
Additional questions (NOT APPLICATIONS) should be submitted to [email protected]