A new ‘Mad Max’ prequel is coming soon and casting directors are now casting
Last year, award-winning director George Miller announced a sequel to ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ was in development. Now, in an interview with the New York Times, Miller revealed that instead of a sequel, the upcoming movie will be a prequel to the 2015 film and will focus on a younger version of Furiosa.
Miller describes in the interview he was working on backstories for each and every character during the development of ‘Fury Road’. However, Furiosa was the character the team as most interested in. Now, the new movie hopes to explore the mysterious “Green Place,” and why she was taken from the group of warrior women known as Vuvalini, and how she became the legendary Furiosa.
Miller is currently casting an actress in her 20s, saying that he hoped to cast Charlize Theron but technology is not good enough yet. “For the longest time, I thought we could just use CG de-aging on Charlize, but I don’t think we’re nearly there yet,” said Miller. “Despite the valiant attempts on ‘The Irishman,’ I think there’s still an uncanny valley. Everyone is on the verge of solving it, particularly Japanese video-game designers, but there’s still a pretty wide valley, I believe.”
‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ is a movie that took George Miller 12 years to create. The director allegedly didn’t want to make another Mad Max movie once he finished ‘Beyond Thunderdome.’ Now, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Tom Hardy had doubts about Miller’s vision during production and said he owed the director an apology after seeing the movie’s final cut:
“TURNING TO DIRECTOR GEORGE MILLER, SEATED BESIDE HIM AT THURSDAY’S CANNES PRESS CONFERENCE, HE EXPLAINED: “I HAVE TO APOLOGIZE TO YOU, BECAUSE I GOT FRUSTRATED [DURING THE MOVIE’S SHOOT]. THERE WAS NO WAY THAT GEORGE COULD HAVE EXPLAINED WHAT HE HAD CONCEIVED.”
Original Post – December 9, 2019: A new ‘Mad Max’ movie is coming soon.
‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ hit theaters four years ago. Now, director George Miller has confirmed there will be another movie coming soon. In an interview with Deadline about the production of his new film ‘Three Thousand Years of Longing,’ Miller confirmed a fifth Mad Max movie is in development.
“I’m not done with the Mad Max story, and I think you have to be a multi-tasker, and there’s certainly another Mad Max coming down the pike after this,” Miller said. “We’re in preparation on that as well.”
The critically-acclaimed Australian director made his directorial debut with 1979’s ‘Mad Max’, whose success turned into the indie movie into an international box-office hit franchise. Miller followed up with ‘Mad Max 2’ in 1981 and ‘Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome’ in 1985.
The action series was over until 2015. ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ hit theaters in 2015 and starred Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. The movie was a hit and won several Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best Director. ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ made over $378 million at the box office on a $150 million budget.
George Miller did not reveal any more details about a sequel. His next movie, ‘Three Thousand Years of Longing’, stars Idris Elba and Tilda Swindon and is currently in pre-production.