‘Game of Thrones’ Creators Exit Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy

David Benioff Game of Thrones
LOS ANGELES - JUL 12: Amanda Peete and David Benioff arrives for the Season 8 premiere of HBO's 'Game of Thrones' on July 12, 2017 in Los Angeles, CA - Image (DFree / Shutterstock.com)

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss exit Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ project

Days after revealing the final trailer for the upcoming Star Wars spinoff series ‘The Mandalorian,’ Disney has announced the planned feature film trilogy from ‘Game of Thrones’ creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will not be happening after all. Last year, fans were surprised to hear that the duo would be leading the three-part series of films. The two creators pitched the idea to Disney’s CEO Bob Iger, and earlier this year, Disney confirmed the two would be directing the next movie in the franchise, which would arrive in 2022.

However, after a $200 million deal with Netflix earlier this year that would see the creators leaving HBO, the creators told Deadline that “there are only so many hours in the day, and we felt we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects.”

That said, Disney+ has a lot of productions coming soon. Marvel Studios CEO Kevin Feige will be directing his own Star Wars project and a planned trilogy by ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ director Rian Johnson is expected to hit theaters soon.

For more related news, Star Wars is now hiring.

Continue Reading: