The National Multiple Sclerosis Society mobilizes people and resources to drive research for a cure and to address the challenges of everyone affected by MS. To fulfill this mission, the Society funds cutting-edge research, drives change through advocacy, facilitates professional education, collaborates with MS organizations around the world, and provides programs and services designed to help people with MS and their families move their lives forward. We partner with volunteers to accomplish our work. Staff members engage volunteers through effective and timely communications, facilitating meaningful opportunities, and continually seeking and providing feedback for reciprocal growth and learning.
The Specialist, Event Production is responsible for planning and execution of all logistical aspects of fundraising activities for all assigned events including but not limited to: adhering to logistical timelines; managing expenses to budget; securing vendors and placing orders for event day set-up (tents, tables, chairs, fencing, etc.); securing permits, contracts and certificates of insurance; ordering and managing delivery of event supplies; inventory and management of multiple storage units; determining needs and reserving event vehicles prior to and during the event. Will work closely with relationship management and volunteer engagement partners within assigned territory to provide for exceptional event experiences and support revenue growth.
The individual portfolio will encompass moderate level event grouping category events requiring a moderate level of proficiency and can include multi-market events.
Essential Function/Responsibility (% of time):
- Event Production (60% of time)
- Regularly collaborates with relationship management team and volunteer engagement staff serving as project manager to ensure exceptional event experience for participants and sponsors
- Monitor, adhere to, and update event production timelines for all events; adhere to deadlines and communicate progress to supervisor, identifying potential roadblocks or challenges
- Reserve and secure venues, permits and insurance for assigned events by predetermined deadlines, establishing, and maintaining positive relationships with communities hosting our events and vendors; identify and recommend new venues as necessary.
- Maintain storage unit(s) to ensure space is fully utilized and orderly; will often include storage unit(s) outside of local market or large units that house supplies for more than one market
- Maintain and track current inventory of event materials and supplies, including signage
- Purchase, pack and distribute specified event supplies before, during and after each campaign (i.e. prizes, incentives, t-shirts, medals, etc.)
- Provide local and National Sponsorship fulfillment information and manage deliveries
- Collaboratively manage distribution of in-kind secured by the relationship management team.
- Schedule and facilitate event production meetings with appropriate staff (pre, post, on-event)
- Determine and communicate event staff assignments in conjunction with development team partners
- Manage relationship with third-party logistics company, handling overall event logistics when applicable
- Follow all risk management guidelines related to event execution (police, communications, rider support, etc.).
- Partner with event and market leaders as well as lead volunteers to ensure rider safety, crisis communication, and weather-related delays or cancelations
- Establish and maintain positive relationships vendors and with communities hosting our events
- Serve as an active member of Emergency Response team; act as vendor contact for changes or cancelation
- Identify and recommend new venues as necessary
- Assists in planning, securing, and overseeing event routes including developing contingencies as needed.
- Works closely with the Society’s legal/risk management department to ensure adherence to the Society’s contract policy.
- Ensures the timely submission of logistical event information so that TeamRaisers can be built and updated as needed to help drive acquisition and retention.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed to support event operations
- Budget and Project Coordination (30% of time)
- Negotiate and manage specified event contracts including but not limited to tents, porta-potties, dumpsters, facilities, trucks and supply vehicles, hotel blocks
- Follow event procurement process including purchase orders and contracts, payment processing, ensuring accurate record keeping and follow finance policies and procedures
- Track expenses and adhere to approved budgets for all events
- Maintain a focus on cost saving measures by ensuring appropriate bidding process for multi-site vendors (including tents, tables and chairs, heavy equipment, toilets, waste disposal, vehicle rentals, communication equipment, entertainment equipment, water and ice, peripheral equipment such as cones, stanchions, barricades, fencing, food vendors) whether paid or in-kind
- Complete all post-event financials (final invoice payments, etc.), thank you communications to vendors/partners, tracking supply/product usage and noting opportunities for following year; ensure the same for direct reports
- Manage relationships and responsibilities for specialized volunteer support and safety for all assigned events (10%)
- Lead volunteer committees to ensure members are fully supported and prepared for day-of-event roles and responsibilities
- Initiate, develop and facilitate committee meetings, in conjunction with relationship management partner, to share event details and ensure critical logistical items are addressed
- Cultivate volunteers, seek, and provide feedback on route, event timing, rider safety and support, etc.; share opportunities and ideas for reciprocal growth and learning
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Four or more years related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
- 2 years of related experience in event planning and execution.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong initiative with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and organize while acting to achieve specific results.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong collaborative relationships and work effectively with multiple teams.
- Ability to adjust and maintain effectiveness in the face of multiple demands, and challenges.
- Strong organizational, planning, and prioritization skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with strong interpersonal skills.
- Results-driven, tenacious, strong attention to detail.
Compensation And Benefits Info
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines
- Experience with logistical mapping and event diagram software such as Ride with GPS or Smartdraw a plus
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends to support volunteer committees and events, especially during peak event season (spring and fall)
The estimated hiring compensation range for this role is $38,000 - $44,000. Final offers will be based on candidate geographic location and consider career experience and may vary from this range due to these and other factors.
You will have the opportunity for a highly competitive, comprehensive benefits package that the Society provides to employees. Your benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings. We value continuous learning and support your professional development through a Professional Development Assistance plan. You will join an incredible mission-focused team of people!Other Information
The National MS Society is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We strive to create a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. We need you and your unique talents and perspectives to help us write the last chapter on MS.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the candidate showing proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (with a COVID-19 FDA-approved vaccine or a COVID-19 vaccine granted Emergency Use Authorization) by the date of hire. A candidate is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the second dose of a two-dose vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) or one dose of a single dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson/Janssen) or as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Candidates unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
National MS Society
... see more