Be a part of championing the voice of Canadian democracy. Join CPAC to protect and build on 30 years of unfiltered access to the people and events that shape our democracy in Canada. The Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC) is Canada’s window on parliament, politics and public affairs. As Canada’s only national, bilingual media outlet focused exclusively on politics, we are unique in the Canadian media landscape.
Based in Ottawa and reporting to the Executive Producer, CPAC is seeking a bilingual (French/English) journalist to join our editorial team, who’s main assignment is with CPAC’s daily political program L’Essentiel, to create broadcast, digital and social media content. This is a great opportunity for an individual who is keenly interested in storytelling and embraces the challenges of producing content that engages the unique needs of different audiences across all platforms. The chosen individual will possess strong journalism skills combined with an ardent appreciation and knowledge of all things political.
- Produce fact-checked dynamic and compelling content suitable for all platforms for CPAC’s daily shows;
- Research information, writes scripts, sources images and produces content for various media platforms, including digital and social media;
- Contribute to daily story meetings and pitches story ideas to the editorial team;
- Work with hosts and producers to ensure fact and explainer packages and other editorial content is vetted before distribution on all media platforms;
- Work with editors to produce graphics and other elements;
- Select, edit, packages, posts and optimizes content for social media platforms including YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram;
- Assist in field production, reporting and conducting interviews for the daily shows as well as for special coverage such as political conventions or elections related coverage;
- Assist producers by chase producing guests and helping coordinate or produce interviews;
- Assisting in the development of special in-depth feature series for the daily political shows.
- Participates in staff, program and other corporate meetings as required;
- Undertakes other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications (knowledge, skills and experience required:
- Undergraduate Degree in Journalism or Media Arts, or the equivalent combination of education and media experience;
- Three to 5 years professional experience in broadcasting or a combination education and experience;
- Excellent French language skills in order to write and produce content for broadcast and for digital purposes.
- Understands and maintains current knowledge of the Canadian political system, and of current and emerging issues and trends;
- Excellent analytical and synthesizing skills; inquisitive, creative and a self-starter;
- Excellent writing skills, including familiarity with Canadian Press style.
- Advanced knowledge of video editing and video asset management platforms, computer system operation and maintenance, hardware and software.
- Knowledge of video-editing principles and techniques.
- A strong track record using digital platforms for journalistic content.
- Proficiency with WordPress, Adobe Premier, Adobe Illustrator, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Has excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Has strong project management skills and experience;
- Able to work flexible, irregular hours;
- Develops and maintains positive work relationships with supervisor, co-workers, managers, consultants, talent, the public and contacts;
- Intervenes diplomatically to determine or mediate a solution when encountering difficult or confrontational situations;
- Understands group and interpersonal dynamics;
- Promotes an environment that recognizes, supports, respects and welcomes diversity of employees.
This is a full time, regular position with competitive benefits. The successful candidate must be fully vaccinated and will be required to work primarily in the Ottawa office.
Please submit your application in confidence to:
1750-45 O’Connor Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1A4
Attention: Patricia Hutton, Human Resources
E-mail: [email protected]
CPAC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
CPAC (Cable Public Affairs Channel / Chaîne d'affaires publiques par câble)
... see more