Hobbs and Shaw is now filming. Here’s who’s casting and how to audition for a speaking role.
Production for the upcoming Fast & Furious spin-off Hobbs and Shaw is ramping up. Hobbs and Shaw is an upcoming action film directed by David Leitch and written by Chris Morgan. The feature film will include two lead characters from The Fast and Furious franchise, Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw. The film stars Dwayne The Rock Johnson, Jason Statham, Vanessa Kirby, and Idris Elba. The film is expected to hit theaters on August 2, 2019.
Who is the casting director for Hobbs and Shaw?
Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com
- Lucy Bevan Casting
- Lucy Bevan is known for her casting work on Beauty and the Beast, An Education, and Ghost in the Shell. In an interview, Bevan said the important tip is to show up on time.
- Bevan explains, If you happen to be late because something went wrong or there was a traffic nightmare or whatever, I dont want to hear about it. Leave all of that stuff out the door. So for a start, I wouldnt even know if someone was late sometimes because I didnt do the scheduling; my assistant does it. And an actor will come in and be, Im so sorry, and, Oh my goodness, traffic was this or that and Im already bored. I dont want to hear about it. You know, Ive been seeing actors all day, Im busy, I want to work, I want to get to the point Be disciplined. Come in cleanly; leave cleanly.
- Mary Vernieu
- Mary Vernieu is known for casting hit movies including Black Swan, Silver Lining Playbook and Looper. Vernieu is one of Hollywoods most sought-after casting directors.
- In 2006, Mary Vernieu told The Hollywood Reporter, Actors think casting directors are this ominous force, and we want to be helpful. Vernieu was asked about the first thing she does when she starts working on a film and said, (to) think about who those people are in the script. An important part of the casting process is, they start to read people and figure out who the characters are. They might not know in the beginning, until they see people read. That’s when you are really discovering who they are.
About Luke and Hobbs:
- In 2015, Vin Diesel announced in an interview with Variety that potential spinoffs for Fast and the Furious were coming soon and were in the early stages of development.
- In 2017, Universal Pictures announced a spin-off movie centering around the characters Luke Hobbs and Deckard shaw. Universal Pictures set a release date of July 26, 2019, with Chris Morgan returning to write the script.
- The announcement sparked a response on Instagram by Tyrese Gibson. Gibson criticized Johnson for delaying production of the ninth Fast & Furious film for another year.
- David Leitch (Deadpool 2) was hired to direct the movie in April 2018.
- July 2018, Vanessa Kirby was cast to play an MI6 agent and Shaws sister along with Idris Elba to play the villain in the movie.
- Filming began on September 10 in London, England. Dwayne Johnson joined the cast and crew two weeks later, on September 24th after working on Disneys Jungle Cruise. Filming will continue until late 2018 in North Yorkshire.
How to audition for a speaking role?
- For a movie, this big, casting directors are contacting talent through talent agencies.
- If you are interested in a speaking role in the upcoming new feature film, contact your talent agent for an audition.
- If you do not have an agent, check out our guide to landing an acting agent here.
- You can also stay tuned for the latest casting calls for Riverdale by signing up for our newsletter.