The National Hispanic Media Coalition (NHMC) is looking for aspiring Latino writers
The National Hispanic Media Coalition Writers Program and the Latino Scene Showcase are programs led by the NHMC that provide opportunities for Latinos in the film industry.
About the NHMC Television Writers Program
The NHMC Writers Program was created in 2003 and is an intensive scriptwriters workshop that “prepares Latinos for writing jobs at major television networks.” Built after the successful Hispanic Film Project, the program is a direct response to the lack of diverse writers in the primetime network TV.
Graduates of the program are invited to participate in the Latino Scene showcase. The showcase is a “private event for entertainment industry executives, talent representatives, and casting directors to watch the performance of original scripts written, directed and performed by graduates of the National Hispanic Media Coalition’s Latino TV Writers Program and Latino talent recruited by the Los Angeles Theatre Center.”
How to apply:
Applications are open: April 9- August 5 (11:59PM)
Complete an online application, an ABC and NBC Release form, submit one writing sample of any type to include, plays, pilots, specs and books in PDF format. Television scripts are preferred. Please note that writing teams are ineligible. You must be able to show proof of U.S. employment eligibility at the time the program begins. You must be 18 or over to apply.
Fill out the online application, but before you do that you must have the following documents prepared to upload:
- Writing sample in .pdf format (only one can be uploaded)
- Resume or Bio in .pdf or .doc format
- Statement of interest: Why do you want to write for television? in .pdf or .doc format
- Signed ABC and NBC release forms in .pdf or .doc format (be sure to download the forms from this page, complete, sign, scan and upload to your application)
For more information click here.
About the Latino Scene Showcase:
The program presents short scenes, directed written and performed by Latinos to introduce their creative skills to Hollywood influencers including directors, writers, talent representatives and casting directors. More than 200 entertainment industry insiders attend the event and network after the showcase.
How to apply:
Please review the following information on the selection and showcase process as well as the guidelines for your scenes:
- Running time of the scene is a max of 7 minutes.
- Showcase scene should be written for preferably two, with a maximum of three characters.
- Showcase scene can be comedic or dramatic.
- Scene must have a beginning, middle, and end.
- The scene will be acted out on a stage, you will have access to limited props i.e. chairs, tables. Please plan accordingly.
Selection Process: All are invited to submit a bio, resume and up to two original 5-7 minute comedy or drama scenes with no more than three characters by May 4. The scenes will be judged and the final 6 will be selected and notified by May 18.
Visit this link to submit your scenes: https://nhmc.wufoo.com/forms/zvow5y31mftjgz/
- ABC is Now Looking for Aspiring Writers
- NBC is Now Looking for Aspiring Writers
- CBS is Now Looking for Aspiring Writers