- Diff’rent Strokes’ actor Todd Bridges says he was abused by his publicist when he was eleven.
- Roman Polanski charged on five counts of sexual abuse against a 13-year-old Samantha Jane Gailey. Polanski would leave the country and never return.
- Corey Haim revealed to Corey Feldman that “an adult male convinced him that it was perfectly normal for older men and younger boys in the business to have sexual relations.”
- Bob Villard, popular headshot photographer and manager who represented Leonardo DiCaprio and other actors was charged with transportation of child pornography.
Villard was again accused of child pornography in 2001, after searches of his home uncovered thousands of photographs of boys in skimpy bathing suits posed in sexually suggestive positions, police said. He pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor and was sentenced to three years of probation.
Throughout this period, Villard touted his work with aspiring young actors, some of whom would later become major Hollywood stars — among them Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio and Danny Nucci. Villard boasted on a company website that as a manager he had “guided the careers of dozens of successful film and television actors.” [LA Times]
- Director Victor Salva convicted of molesting the 12-year-old boy starring in his debut feature film, Clownhouse. Victor Salva would later direct the Jeepers Creepers movies.
- Allegedly, Marc Collins-Rector and Chad Shackley hold lavish parties attended by aspiring teenage actors. Apparently, Marc Collins-Rector has vanished and no one has been able to find him.
- Actress Thandie Newton says a casting director asked her to “touch herself,” for an audition and the audition tape circulates around “other industry moguls.”
- Dylan Farrow says her father, Woody Allen abused her.
- Bob Villard is sentenced to three years probation after discovery of “thousands of photographs of boys in skimpy bathing suits” are found in house home. Bob Villard would get arrested again for “committing a lewd act on a child. The victim was a 13-year-old boy who sought him out as an acting coach.”
- Nickelodeon production assistant, Jason Michael Handy was sentenced for two felony counts, one of lewd acts on a child and one for distributing sexually explicit material by email.
It’s shocking to believe that until 2012, there was no law that prevented convicted child molesters from working with children in the entertainment industry as casting directors, managers, photographers, publicists or acting coaches.
What do you think? Share with us your thoughts in the comments below.